Why work at APRA
We draw strength from our people
To fulfil our important role supervising institutions and overseeing the safety and stability of the financial system, we seek to recruit, develop and retain highly skilled professionals with the highest standard of integrity who want to help shape financial services and protect the financial well-being of the Australian community.
With a broad mandate, staff of more than 600, and offices across the country, our people are from a range of professional backgrounds. As such, APRA is always seeking skilled economists, accountants, lawyers, statisticians, actuaries and other professionals.
To ensure our people keep pace with a constantly changing financial system, we offer a comprehensive professional development program. This program draws on the expertise of experienced managers and colleagues, who share their professional insights and knowledge through a variety of formal and informal networks. We want our people to continually grow their skills, and as such we provide a wealth of opportunities to achieve this – ranging from international secondments to financial support for further study.
A performance-based culture that values employee wellbeing
We recognise the skills, experience and commitment that our staff bring to their professional lives, and we seek to reward them accordingly. We also recognise that for our staff to be able to perform at their best, we need to ensure they are able to bring their best selves to work. Our commitment to wellbeing is having engaged people supported by resilient leaders within a values-aligned culture.
The key pillars of our wellbeing strategy are related to a sense of community, our people and leadership capability, facilitating a culture of wellbeing and addressing hour health risk factors.
Some benefits offered to staff include:
- Health and wellbeing checks
- Annual flu vaccinations
- Employee Assistance program (professional and confidential counselling sessions for employees and their immediate families)
- Wellbeing Ambassador network
- Ergonomic workstations
- Regular social events
- Subsidised corporate team sports, running events and pedometer challenge
- Discounted gym memberships
A diverse, values-based culture
When you join APRA, you become part of a team united by its belief in a set of guiding APRA Values:
- Integrity – we act without bias, are balanced in the use of our powers, and deliver on our commitments.
- Respect – we are always respectful of others, and their opinions and ideas.
- Collaboration – we actively seek out and encourage diverse points of view, to produce well-founded decisions.
- Excellence – we maintain high standards of quality and professionalism in all that we do.
- Accountability – we are open to challenge and scrutiny, and take responsibility for our actions.
These Values are lived by our people through their dedication to APRA’s Purpose, and a genuine commitment to fostering a vibrant and diverse workplace. We believe our focus on inclusion and diversity delivers positive benefits for individuals, teams and our entire organisation.
More information about APRA's commitment to inclusion and diversity is available here.
A flexible workplace – ‘If not, why not?’
At APRA, we understand that each of us has a life beyond the office. Our commitment to helping staff achieve an optimal work-life balance is summed up by APRA’s guiding principle of ‘flexibility for all – if not, why not?’.
We offer staff a range of flexible working, including:
- The option to work from home (where appropriate)
- Option to purchase additional leave
- Flexible use of leave
- Family leave/sabbaticals
- Mature age workers initiatives including unlimited ability to salary sacrifice superannuation when transitioning to retirement, health checks for all staff aged over 50 and pre-retirement leave
- 14 weeks paid parental leave
- Two weeks paid partner’s leave
- Parents room (Sydney and Melbourne office)
- Keep in Touch Program for all staff on extended leave
- Access to dependent care services through Families At Work
More information about working at APRA